This week we’re having a baby shower, but rest assured it will be cooler than most, if not all. There will be NO poop-related games. There will be NO well-meaning but anxiety-inducing aunts to give you terrifying advice. Instead, we’ll play a few games, reminisce about what’s helpful and horrible when dealing with a brand-new baby, and check out pictures of our babies when they were brand-spanking new.
To help make the morning awesome, it would be great if you could bring a picture of your baby/babies as brand-new ones so we can admire them. If you have “gone digital” or just haven’t printed a single picture since your kids were born despite your best intentions, email them to email@example.com and we’ll have a slideshow running as well.
One other thing we’re going to do – since gifts are usually a part of baby showers, we’re going to collect items for MCC’s newborn kits – they’re sent to hospitals and refugee camps in countries like Bosnia, Haiti, Honduras, and North Korea to help get babies off to a good start. So if you can bring in some stuff that we can donate, here’s the list!
Contents (NEW items only, size 3-9 months)
- 2 gowns/sleepers (flannel or similar warm, soft material)
- 2 undershirts/onesies (short or long sleeves)
- 4 cloth diapers (flat-fold preferred)
- 1 receiving blanket (light weight fleece or flannel; minimum 92cm / 36 in)
- 4 safety pins (5cm / 2in)
- 1 large bar mild soap (leave in wrapper)
- 1 pair of socks
- 1 cap
- Remove packaging material (except soap) and fold into the receiving blanket. Fasten together with the safety pins.
- Contact your local MCC warehouse/activity center for a new design for hand-sewn gowns.
- Note: Items can either be purchased or hand sewn. Packages of precut materials are available from some MCC offices.