I’ve been busy trying to plan this year’s advent ‘thing’ for Briony – partially because I’m a keener and partially because our family will be away for a bit and returning just in time for December 1.
Last year, I put together a simple homemade advent activity for the first time. Instead of chocolate, we did a different activity together as a family for 25 days in December. Before you think I’m SuperMom or something crazy like that, I should tell you that there are LOTS of moms who’ve planned similar things – and were generous enough to blog about them, so I had plenty of resources to work with. I just picked the things that would be fun for our family (and age appropriate), added in a few ideas of my own, and the rest is history… It wasn’t fancy. But Briony LOVED it and so did we.
Here are some of the things we did:
- Read a new Christmas book together
- Learned ‘Jingle Bells’ (I bought some bells at Dollarama to make it more fun)
- Baked cookies and brought them to a neighbour
- Invited another family over for dinner
- Went for a drive to see Christmas lights
- Made a snow angel
- Wrote (and mailed) a letter to Santa
- Bought a toy and donated it
- Coloured some wooden Christmas ornaments (from Dollarama again!) – some to keep and some to give away
- Went for a walk in the snow
- Put on Christmas music and had a dance party
- Went outside and built a snowman
I totally cheated and kind of went day by day. I came up with around 30 activities, and every morning I picked the one I had energy for (that worked into our schedule for the day). And we kept it really, really simple. I found a colourful holiday-themed paperboard box with a lid and put it at Briony’s place at breakfast time every morning with the day’s activity inside. I might get fancier as she gets older – but I might not. If it’s all about the family time together, then it doesn’t really matter, does it?
Do you do any kind of advent or holiday countdown traditions with your kids? I’d love to hear about them… And I’d love some more ideas for holiday activities that are simple + great for small kids!